Analects of Blue

28 November 2005

Fake it 'til you make it
















This morning Pinetree (whom I love beyond measure), in a round about way that nearly brought me to tears, pointed out how depressing I can come across at times. So, in an attempt to be more optomistic (which at one time was my natural tendency) I'm going to post a few of my favorite quotes:

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow."
-Helen Keller
(so yeah, this is obvious and literal, but I still really like the philosophical implications)

"To put away aimlessness and weakness, and to begin to think with purpose, is to enter the ranks of those strong ones who only recognize failure as one of the pathways to attainment; who make all conditions serve them, and who think strongly, attempt fearlessly, and accomplish masterfully."
-James Allen

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-Marianne Williamson (often falsely attributed to Nelson Mandela)

"And now, my beloved son... let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God."
- Mormon to his son Moroni, Moroni 9:6

And at times that last thought is the only thing that keeps me going. I may stumble, fall, and cry, but in the end I still hope that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true, and that if I repent, and be faithful I will be able to rest my soul in the kingdom of God, because He knows that I am often fatigued, and that I wonder whether it is really any better to continue pushing than it is to let go.

3 Comments:

  • At 5/12/05 12:03, Blogger Hi! said…

    Fake it 'til you make it

    I like that :D

     
  • At 6/12/05 20:33, Blogger pinetree said…

    I love the Marianne Williamson quote. I actually have it in my scriptures, although I'm ashamed to admitt that I had it falsely attributed to Nelson Mandela. I think the Helen Keller one will be one of my favorites from now on also. It reminds me of you.

    You hardly come across as depressing.

     
  • At 12/12/05 05:40, Blogger Jokey Smurf said…

    You're not depressing at ALL, my friend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home